Sunday, March 8, 2009


The Blister on my finger was worth it!

I had to bring a sweet snack food for our Bible study group tonight – and I know many in the group try to eat healthy so I experimented with Agave Caramel Corn. Heavens! This is the best caramel corn I have ever had and it is healthy too. Sounds too good to be true – but it is great stuff! I am glad I have to take it to the group or I probably could have single handedly cleaned the bowl out myself.

We just got back – not a kernel left and a lot of requests for the recipe. One of the guys suggested a variation: adding some salt to make it like Kettle Corn. Sounds like a new experiment coming up.


Agave Caramel Corn

These are approximate measurements:

2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
7-8 cups of popped popcorn – removed the unpopped seeds
1 cup agave
½ Stick butter (4 Tablespoons) - I use organic
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
¼ Teaspoon Baking soda

Pop the popcorn in the coconut oil. I use the “Whirley Pop” popcorn popper because it leaves almost no kernels left unpopped. An air-popper is good too. Spread the popcorn out on a large sheet pan and put in the oven on 300° while you are making the agave caramel.

In a medium size sauce pan boil the Agave -without stirring-on medium high heat until the candy thermometer reaches 328-330°(about 5 minutes after boiling point). Add the butter carefully because it bubbles. Bring it back up to 328°. Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Carefully add the vanilla and baking soda and stir.

Immediately, pour caramel over popcorn and stir with heat resistant spatula to coat. Put in the 300° oven for 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and stir again to coat. Put back in the oven for 5 more minutes.

Spread the popcorn on buttered (I use coconut oil) aluminum foil, parchment paper or waxed paper. Let dry until it is crunchy. Break into small bites and enjoy.

Be careful not to get the caramel on your hands it will stick to you and burn – ala-blister.


Variation: add almonds to your popcorn before coating it with the caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We invite you to share your helpful or healthy comments, advice, tips, recipes, questions, and experience with us.